I would like to introduce myself; I am the new principal of
All of us at
May was a great month with several special activities including:
- Hot lunch
- A highly successful popcorn sale
- A fabulous Art Walk evening
- A terrific tribute to our fabulous volunteers who do so many things to make our school extra special
Edmonton Public Schools has a focus on “Literacy for the 21st Century Learner”. I thought I would share it with you.
Our Definition of Literacy for 21st Century Learners
Literacy for the 21st century learner encompasses a broad set of skills and competencies, integrated across the Kindergarten to Grade 12 programs of study. These skills are maninfested when students are engaged in authentic, relevant and meaningful learning contexts. Each student must develop competency in reading, writing, speaking, viewing, listening, representing and numeracy as foundational skills for 21st century learning.
Literacy learning involves effective use of:
· Personal and social skills such as collaboration, communication, leadership and self direction.
· Digital age literacy that includes cultural competence, global awareness, accessing information from a variety of texts and effective use of technology and tools.
· Learning and thinking skills such as inquiry based learning, critical and creative thinking, problem solving, number sense, higher order thinking, meta-cognition and intellectual engagement.